galeon1 requires mozilla with gtk1

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 01:57, Brad Corsello wrote:
> WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?

Brad,
  Shouting does not help. Writing a new bug report when there are
already many about this certainly does not help - It just takes our time
so the process takes even longer. If you really want a progress report,
then you could write a nice email to one of the existing bug reports
requesting this, or email us directly using the
galeon@packages.qa.debian.org email.

Mozilla 1.3 has the ability to be compiled with GTK2, the new version of
GTK, which is incompatible with the previous version. The Debian mozilla
packages have been compiled with gtk2. Unfortunately, this has the side
effect that any packages which depend on mozilla must also use gtk2.
Galeon1 is written entirely in gtk1 - much of the galeon1 code is in
fact calls to the gtk1 libraries.

The upstream Galeon developers have been doing a great job rewriting
galeon for gtk2. This is currently still in development. For the last
few months, we have been packaging cvs snapshots of the development
version of galeon in the galeon-snapshot package every week. This is
still available and works better than ever.

Your bug report will be fixed when we move galeon2 into the galeon
package. The obvious time to do this is when upstream declare it stable.
However, we may choose to do this a little sooner as using the galeon
package stops you from upgrading mozilla at present. Upstream consider
galeon2 to be quite stable, however there are a number of things missing
to declare it stable, such as documentation.

Before we move galeon2 into the galeon package, a number of things must
happen:

* We need to be satisfied that galeon-snapshot is at least as stable as
galeon1. Everyone, please report any bugs you find in galeon-snapshot.

* We need to make the galeon bug listing more manageable. At the moment,
there are over 140 bug reports for galeon. We are slowly in the process
of testing these with galeon snapshot and taking appropriate action.

If you want to help us, then that would be much appreciated. Here's what
to do:
go to http://bugs.debian.org/galeon
Look only at the bugs which are not tagged pending and have not been
forwarded - we have already dealt with these.
Test the bugs against galeon-snapshot. See if the problems still exist.
If they do, please add a comment to the bug report saying so - will will
contact upstream.
If they don't, add a comment to the bug saying that it's fixed in
galeon-snapshot, tag the bug as pending and send us an email so that we
can add it to our list.

Don't worry if you can't sort out all the bugs - just helping out with
one or two would be great.

For those interested in how we will sort out user settings:
There are too many possibilities to deal with. In particular, if a user
has galeon-snapshot and galeon installed, we don't know whether their
settings are in galeon or galeon-snapshot.
Therefore, we think the best thing to do is just put galeon2 into the
galeon package; on first run it will upgrade the galeon settings to
galeon2. Then we will replace galeon-snapshot with a dummy package which
explains how to use settings/bookmarks/etc from galeon-snapshot in the
new galeon package.

--
  .''`. Mark Howard
 : :' :