Re: auto-hinding panel killing the X server ...

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 03:08:01PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 14:49, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Indeed. You should know though that an X server crash is always an X
> > > server bug.
> >
> > Well, i get nothing suspicious in the /var/log/XFree86, and i really
> > don't see what could happen here.
>
> Are you saying the log doesn't show a crash? If so, how do you know the
> server crashed and not the GNOME session?

No, it definitively was the X server, the .gnome-error didn't show
anything except various apps claiming to have lost connection to the X
server, and the /var/log/XFree86.0.log ended with sig 11, nothing
related to hardware access, as the driver is unaccelerated and i log any
register writes.

> > It worked yesterday with the 4.3.0 packages and my own driver module.
> > Now that i fixed it i cannot even get back to the broken situation and
> > use gdb on the kernel or something such.
> >
> > Do you have an idea of what might have caused this ?
>
> No. You'd have to reproduce the problem with the server running in gdb.

Yes, ...

BTW, does debian's gdb work with loadable modules ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther