Re: auto-hinding panel killing the X server ...

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:44:56PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 10:05, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:37:03AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > When logging in this morning, a bad surprise awaited me. Gnome logs in
> > > as usual, but when i go to the auto-hiding panel i have at the bottom of
> > > the display, instead of un-hiding the panel, the X server just dies.
> >
> > After a bit more experimenting, i think i solved the problem, i still
> > don't know why this happened.
> >
> > I first went to gconf-editor and marked the panel as unhided, i got to
> > the panel, X died, i logged in again, and the panel did not hide itself.
> > i then noticed that i could click on any of the icons, except the
> > windows list applet, or the empty space on the panel after it. I managed
> > to remove the applet (i could not click on the boxes for the windows,
> > but i could right click on the applet itself) and added it again, and
> > the problem went away.
> >
> > Real strange stuff.
>
> Indeed. You should know though that an X server crash is always an X
> server bug.

Well, i get nothing suspicious in the /var/log/XFree86, and i really
don't see what could happen here. It worked yesterday with the 4.3.0
packages and my own driver module. Now that i fixed it i cannot even get
back to the broken situation and use gdb on the kernel or something
such.

Do you have an idea of what might have caused this ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther