Logon Problems with Gnome 2.2

Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to switch from Gentoo to Debian (I'm tired
of compiling everything), but the process has been more painful than I'd
anticipated.  I've been able to get woody installed really easily (and
everything works great -- actually quite cool -- I used the chroot
process describe at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html#s-linux-upgrade
).

Then, I upgrade with apt-get upgrade-distro to SID, and I no longer can
log into gnome (even after restarting and removing all .gnome*
directories, and /tmp/orbit-[username]).

If I wait long enough after logging in on GDM, I'll get the spash screen
for Gnome 2.2, but that's as far as it gets (even given a half an
hour).  I don't see any error messages in .gnomerc-errors, and I'm
unsure where else to look.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks.

-Scott