Re: Logon Problems with Gnome 2.2

Well, I've still been trying and trying to get this going.  I finally
decided to re-install woody, and try the woody backport of Gnome 2.2.
That didn't fix my problem, so now I'm back up to SID.  I'm still cannot
log into Gnome.  I'm thinking that there might be a bad dependency
somewhere that those of you who have been upgrading haven't experienced,
since you already had the dependency installed(?).

I've now done 3 installations -- on the first, I installed and
configured woody, had a completely functional gnome 1.4 setup, and then
did an apt-get -u dist-upgrade and started having these problems.  On
the next installation, I got my minimal debian system setup and then
made the jump to sid.  This is my third time, and all three times have
worked out the same, but all installations have been using that chroot
method that I mentioned in my previous post (from the official Debian
documentation).

Now, when I log in from an xterm, I eventually (after a few minutes) get
a "metacity session" going, and can launch programs from the xterm
(mozilla, evolution, etc.).

Most Gtk2 applications work, some lauch very slowly (several minutes).
I can get the gnome panel to start after about 1/2 an hour; gnumeric and
mrproject take about 5 minutes; abiword (gtk2 version), gconf-editor,
gnome-terminal, and galeon-snapshot launch fast.  Nautilus won't start
at all, but dies silently (no output to the command line).  I ran
"strace" on gnome-session and then on nautlius, and noticed a few
things:

1.) gnome-session says:
	gnome-smproxy: unable to connect to session manager
    Any ideas what this means?

2.) nautilus says:
getpid()                                = 1965
bind(16, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(869), sin_addr=inet_addr("0.0.0.0")}, 16) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
connect(16, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(111), sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16 <unfinished ...>
--- SIGCONT (Continued) @ 0 (0) ---
<... connect resumed> )                 = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)
close(16)                               = 0

I don't know if I've picked the portions of these files that will be the
most useful or not...  These are just things that jumped out at me.

I thought for a while that this might be a locale problem because I saw
some messages about my locale not being supported by Xlib, but now I've
switched the "C" locale, and those messages have gone away, but my
problems haven't!

Thanks again for your suggestions, (I wish it had worked!) and please if
anyone else has any ideas for me, I'd love to hear it!

-Scott