Re: G2.2 (woody backport): nautilus - "use home as desktop" option gone from gconf-editor

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 09:53, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 15:13, James D Strandboge wrote:
>
> > In gconf-editor:
> >
> > /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir
>
> Yeah, that's where I was used to find it, but it's not there.
>
> Thanks for the help, in the meantime I had found
> http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.0/gconf-6.html and managed to
> create and set the entry with  'gconftool-2 --set
> "/apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir" --type bool "true"'

Interesting, I looked in my /apps/nautilus/preferences and saw it (on
the machine that was updated from gnome2 backport.  Then I looked in
/apps/nautilus/preferences on a machine that has only had the gnome2.2
backport, and it wasn't there.  It is in the schema file though
(/etc/gconf/schema/apps_nautilus_preferences).

gconf-editor (when launched as a user) appears to only look at things
that the user has set, and not all the options available in
/etc/gconf/schemas.  When you set options in nautilus Preferences, they
appear in gconf-editor.  Because the option isn't available via
nautilus, you have to do what you did to add it back in.

This may be a bug in gconf-editor, or a feature, but it is nice to know
either way.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com