Re: German 'umlaute' in gnome(-terminal)

Hi Matt!

> > What exactly happens there? I found a new file ~/.gnome/gdm:
> > [session]
> > last=Gnome
> > lang=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
>
> Perhaps this file (and the corresponding GDM 2.4 file in ~/.gnome2)
> should be added to the language-env tool.

After hours of searching I can really support that :-)

> Currently, language-env sets up the environment that your shell uses,
> which is why you see the correct locale from inside the terminal (once
> you have started a shell).  But gnome-session is started by GDM, not by
> your shell, and your gnome desktop is started by gnome-session.

I don't know any internals - but gnome-session runs as my user, so isn't
there a possibility to read my environment variables before executing it?

> It would also help if GDM sourced /etc/environment and used the settings
> there as defaults.

That wouldn't change anything for me (I have root with LANG=C and my
user, so I didn't touch /etc/environment), but for every installation
with more users this would be a good idea I think.

--
MfG Thomas Mueller - http://www.tmueller.com for pgp key (95702B3B)