Re: vfolder .desktop and Window Maker

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 11:23:33PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Hi folks. There was some discussion on this list late last year about the
> VFolder .desktop specification, and there were a few comments about things
> like making this work with Window Maker's dynamic menus. Havoc even
> mentioned that he'd accept patches to his desktop-menu-tool which enable it
> to spit out different output formats. I'm very interested in doing exactly
> that, but I don't want to duplicate anyone else's effort or go about things
> the wrong way. Has has anyone else been working on this?

Note that we replaced vfolders with a new menu spec (see
www.freedesktop.org) which is similar in spirit but different. I
started changing desktop-file-utils to the new format but haven't
had time to finish it yet. I hope to sometime in the next few months.

If someone is working on d-f-u WindowMaker support, they haven' told
me about it. Waldo Bastian is working on KDE support for the new menu
spec though. As I've said before I think it'd be very sensible to also
use this spec as the Debian menu system, but people weren't biting.

Once GNOME and KDE have interoperating implementations, I hope to see
the Free Standards Group adopt the spec as part of the "desktop
module" of LSB.

Havoc