GTK+ 2.2 and GNOME 2.2 in sid [Was: GTK+ libraries 2.2 are released]

<quote who="Christian Marillat">

> Yes, I've seen this patche. But I don't really want to upload all the
> GNOME 2.1 packages in experimental or in a repository if I can't install
> and test those packages myself, I'm not talking about installing GNOME 2.1
> in a chroot and only use this chroot 2 hours/day.
>
> Now how GNOME 2.1 is unstable ? Jeff ?

It's pretty good. Some annoying crasher regressions in 2.1.5, but on the
whole it's nice and stable. I'm very confident that we'll ship on time.

If you're happy with the fontconfig/Xft2 bits in sid, then I'd strongly
recommend pushing the GTK+ 2.2 family into sid. 2.0.x won't be maintained
anymore, it's ABI compatible, and it has TOTALLY ROCKING stuff in it. ;-)

When it comes to GNOME, it's probably time to give up on the whole "2.0.x in
sarge for safety" plan and just start pushing 2.1.x into sid (especially
when we ship the Release Candidates). Ideally, it should go in as one big
chunk.

With all the libc craziness in sarge right now, and knowing that even more
craziness will hit when it shifts over to gcc-3.2, it looks like a
reasonable target for GNOME 2.2 now.

Up to you guys, but it doesn't look like the safety plan matters too much if
the packages just aren't shifting down into sarge. :-|

But that can be a good thing too... Sarge, eventually with GNOME 2.2! ROCK!

  :-)

- Jeff

--
    "MySQL supporters are like people who believe that the moon landings
    were a hoax. No matter what contrary information they're confronted