Re: GTK+ libraries 2.2 are released

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 12:08:04AM +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:04:29AM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> > Yes, I'll do a new package tomorow, then you can upload gtk 2.2 in
> > unstable.
> >
> > Christian
>
> Uhm. No. GNOME 2.0 uses Gtk 2.0. That's what it released with and that's
> what unstable should stick at until we're going to put GNOME 2.2 in. Gtk
> 2.2 is a part of GNOME 2.1, which will become GNOME 2.2. I really don't
> want all my Gtk2 apps to suddenly change behaviour, or become
> uninstallable, or break, or anything like that. Just wait until GNOME
> 2.2 is out and it's been staged somewhere, and you can put all this in
> at once. Just because it's called unstable doesn't make it a good idea
> to be reckless.

Not strictly true, 2.2 is the latest version in the 2.0 ABI/API
series.

There won't be further bugfix releases numbered 2.0.x as far as I
know. From here on out if you want fixes with the 2.0.x API/ABI you
have to upgrade to 2.2.x

There just aren't enough people hacking GTK to support the 2.0.x
branch.

Fixing libgnomeui should be a one-liner
(s/GTK_TYPE_WIDGET/GTK_TYPE_INVISIBLE/ or something in the right file).

Havoc