Re: XFT and GNOME 2

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:20:41PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> I'd like for this to just work out of the box. Unfortunately the only
> thing exceeding my desire to get things working is my lack of time to do
> it; however I expect I'll find some time to go poking around if I'm
> given some pointers to XFT resources.
>
> Is there any particular reason why the list of XFT fonts isn't a
> superset of the non-XFT fonts in GNOME?

These mails explain some of how it works:

  https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/psyche-list/2002-October/000585.html
  https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/psyche-list/2002-October/002797.html

You don't want all the old X fonts listed in fontconfig, because
you'll just get this huge collection of unscalable bitmap fonts making
it impossible to find any good scalable fonts.  You can download "1000
cool shareware fonts!" from the Internet really easily too, it doesn't
mean you want them in your font selector. ;-)

However if Sans, Serif, and Monospace are all the same, surely that's
a bad fonts.conf setup.

Havoc