XFT and GNOME 2

As my first mini-project in an attempt to make sarge's desktop not suck,
I'm trying to work out just what's going on with XFT's apparently broken
defaults.

Once I've set GDK_USE_XFT, the fonts Monospace, Sans and Serif in the
GNOME fontpicker all refer to the same font. This clearly should not be
the case: a font cannot both be Sans and Serif at the same time, can it?

I'd like for this to just work out of the box. Unfortunately the only
thing exceeding my desire to get things working is my lack of time to do
it; however I expect I'll find some time to go poking around if I'm
given some pointers to XFT resources.

Is there any particular reason why the list of XFT fonts isn't a
superset of the non-XFT fonts in GNOME?

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

"This particular group of cats is mostly self-herding." -- Bdale Garbee