Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:38:15 -0700
Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org> wrote:
> > The upstream is going the other direction with handling versioned symbols.
> > They will introduce versioned symbols in the future, but we know
> > that it will require a full rebuild with the new packages, which
> > I don't think is ideal.
>
> "The other direction"?

Sorry, I seem to have sent a half-baked mail.

"The other direction" is changing function names depending on
version, and using preprocessor macros to do it, so that
other architectures which does not support symbol versioning (including cygwin!)
can benefit from symbol versioning.

regards,
	junichi

--