Gnome settings daemon error

I have Gnome 2 correctly installed according to the directions given at
http://www.hadess.net/idoru.php3

The problem(s) I've been running into have been a little weird. When
logging into Gnome their is an error dialog that pops up and says "Gnome
settings daemon has spawned too many times, it will be restarted the
next time...". Then the panel and the rest of the desktop segfault
leaving me with a border-less Nautilus window and Nautilus icons on the
desktop.

Moreover, the console re-iterates over and over again that there is a
FamOpen failed, FAMErrno=0 even though fam is installed. I have tried to
execute famd in the background before starting X but the above problem
still appears.

Does anyone have insight into what may be going on?

-
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan