gshutdown ???

Hello, ...

I used to have a button on my panel wich launched 'sudo gshutdown', in
order to be able to reboot/halt my box without passing trough gdm's
system menu.

In Gnome2, gshutdown is gone (it was in the gnome-utils package i
think).

I understand that what i did was just a hack to solve the problem of not
being able to have a reboot/halt button in the logout dialog or
something such, particularly when you are not root.

I think this is an important feature, particularly for the users gnome
now targets, the ones which will replace windows systems as standalone
monouser boxes, and couldn't care less for being asked a login, did you
notice how many people did simply press cancel in win98 instead of going
to the trouble of enterring their password.

I know that redhat did have a solution for this problem from an earlier
discution about this with Christian, but it seems no more possible to do
this with gnome2, unless i miss something.

The idea is to use this feature together with gdm's autologin to never
see the gdm greeter, altough pressing a key to see it appear would be
nice.

You would say that this causes a security problem, but for home boxes,
if people have access to it, you have worse problems than the security
of your home box (after all, the thief can simply take the harddisk with
him, and all your secret data would be reveled).

Friendly,

Sven Luther