Re: gnome hosed on sid

Hello,

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:30:28PM +0530, Amardeep Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> i think there is something wrong with the default configuration of gnome
> in sid. i have made more than a dozen sid installations in past 3 months,
> and this problem appears everytime.
>
> it takes a very long time to logon into gnome, and logon process seems to
> hang for quite a long time (10 seconds or more) when it is loading window
> manager (as seen from splash screen)

Do you have a sound card installed?
I once had problems like this (annoying delays at various
situations) on a machine without sound hardware.
Everytime a program tried to play a sound sniplet
(e.g. when opening a window) the application had
to wait for some timeout.

I worked around this by getting into the gnome control-center
(using up all my patience) and the to disable sound support.

Jochen
--
                                         Omm
                                      (0)-(0)