Re: Do not link GNOME apps with libpng3

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 04:37:17PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> >> "SMR" == Steve M Robbins <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > The fact remains that we cannot change the linkage of the library
> > NOR of applications piecemeal.  The changes must be coordinated.
> > In the absence of a transition plan, I see no reason to introduce
> > instability in GNOME by changing imlib.  If you have a workable
> > plan, I'm all ears.
>
> See Colin's answer. Change the library soname and shlibs. This will
> solve this bug.

It's a reasonable transition plan.

However, introducing a new imlib library with a new SONAME will not
solve Bug #128377, as gnome-help-browser binary is linked with
libgdk_imlib's current SONAME.

If you favour doing the libpng2 -> libpng3 transition by introducing
new imlib packages (and SONAMES), then all packages that link with the
current imlib package need to link with libpng2.

Cheers,
-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,