Re: Do not link GNOME apps with libpng3

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:23:25PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> >> "SMR" == Steve M Robbins <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:09:08PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> I really want to know why recompiling gdk-imlib1 is too hard ?
>
> > Recompiling isn't hard.  Managing the transition is hard.  Did you
> > read the threads in debian-devel and debian-kde?  Do you have a solution
> > to managing the transition?
>
> Yes I've read the thread in -devel. For Gnome we only need to recompile
> your package and dgk-pixbuf.

You think only two packages need recompiling?  I can only conclude
that, while you may have read the thread, you did not understand it.
The best summary (in my humble opinion) is

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200201/msg00243.html

The main conclusion is this: if imlib1 (and gdk-imlib1) change their linkage
from libpng2 to libpng3, then ANY APPLICATION THAT LINKS WITH ONE OF THOSE
AND ALSO WITH LIBPNG NEEDS TO BE RECOMPILED.  That's a whole lot more than
two packages.

I have tried it --- I rebuilt imlib1 against libpng3, and everything
I care about breaks, starting from the splash screen, to sawfish, to the
"Mail Check"  applet.

But you needn't take my word for it: try it for yourself.  You can
find the changed imlib sources and i386 debs in my home directory
on auric.

> BTW for now gnome-libs, gnome-core, are compiled against libpng3-dev,
> and nothing is broken execpt the warning message in gnome-help.

I guess you got lucky.  Perhaps only gnome-help links against both
imlib and libpng.

The fact remains that we cannot change the linkage of the library
NOR of applications piecemeal.  The changes must be coordinated.
In the absence of a transition plan, I see no reason to introduce
instability in GNOME by changing imlib.  If you have a workable
plan, I'm all ears.

-Steve

P.S.  Just for the record: what specifically are the benefits to
recompiling everything with libpng3?

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,