Re: Do not link GNOME apps with libpng3

On 09 Jan 2002 15:09:08 +0100
Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > Now, the question is: should GNOME move to libpng3, and how?  The QT/KDE
> > folks have sidestepped the problem by declaring that libqt2 is
> > remaining linked against libpng2, while libqt3 links with libpng3.  I
> > don't see why we shouldn't adopt the same approach: leave imlib1
> > linked with libpng2 and let imlib's successor libraries link against
> > libpng3.  Comments?
>
> I disagree completely. We should *always* compile all packages against
> the latest library version and not downgrade the builg dependency to an
> old library. We have did the same change to move to libdb3.
>
> I really want to know why recompiling gdk-imlib1 is too hard ?
I can see your point, but the change from db2 to db3 happened months
ago, and I really think libpng3 should be investigated before
we move all gnome apps to use it... we must take care, because the
freeze is going and this can delay it more and more or remove
some gnome programs from woody

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
| : :'  : + Debian BR.......: <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>+
| `. `'`  + Q: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"          +
|   `-    | A: "Upstream's decision." -- hmh                  |