Re: Lost window manager?

"Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,

>  I'm not sure which package is at fault, so I rather ask here instead of
>  submitting a bug and have people play ping-pong with it...

No package are guilty, only a configuration problem.

[...]

>     $ gnome-wm --default-wm waimea

gnome-wm is only used if you don't have a session file. gnome-session
copy the default session file (/usr/share/gnome/default.session) in
~/.gnome2/session and gnome-wm is the default window-manager in that
file.

>  which didn't work since Window Maker was running at the time.  I then
>  stopped Window Maker and ran that again, and it worked.  I logged out,
>  I logged back in, and lo and behold, there was Window Maker again.  I
>  then used gconf-editor to edit the corresponding key[0] and set it to
>  waimea (it was set to wmaker).  AFAIR, that didn't work either.  I then
>  started waimea, started the gnome-session properties thingie, and it
>  wasn't anywhere to be found.  So I closed the session, checked "save
>  this settings" (or whatever the option is called) on the dialog box,
>  logged back in, and presto!  No window manager.

You need to edit your session with the gnome-control-center or nautilus
(advanced setting --> Sessions) and replace wmaker by what you want.

[...]

>  $ gconftool -g /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current
>  wmaker
>  $ gconftool -g /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default
>  wmaker

I think those keys aren't used yet.

Christian