Re: gdm is old.

Downloaded from http://files.hadess.net/debian/
gdm2_2.4.0.11-1.diff.gz
gdm2_2.4.0.11-1.dsc
gdm2_2.4.0.11.orig.tar.gz

Patched the original source.
Tried to compile it...
Realized I'd need some library -dev packages, apt-get install'ed them.
Added the following lines to vicious-extensions/ve-misc.c, because it wouldn't compile.
               #include <langinfo.h>
               #include <locale.h>
       chmod 755 debian/rules
run dpkg-buildpackage
Uninstall gdm if you've got it.
dpkg --purge gdm, make sure all the crap is out.
dpkg --install ./gdm2_2.4.0.11-1_i386.deb
I found that the /var/lib/dpkg/info/gdm.prerm script referred to /etc/init.d/gdm2, instead of /etc/init.d/gdm, fixed that.
Found that libpam was having a little problem..
       Downgraded to libpam-modules and libpam0g 0.72-35.
Ran up gdm2 and gave it a nice looking theme from art.gnome.org using gdmconf!

I sure hope this helps somebody out! I spent the majority of a sunday afternoon at this, neglecting a Computer Science assignment on hashing.

This isn't a flawless solution, but I hope some users can make use of it until Ryan gets around to packaging gdm2 properly.