Re: gnome-terminal build against libvte

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:58:56PM -0500, christophe barbe wrote:
> That said with a black background, AA font sucks (at least the one I
> have tried, including msttcorefonts, andala mono, monospace, free mono
> (this one always sucks IMHO)).
> Is there a monospaced font that is nicely AA with a dark background?

I find "Courier 10 pitch" the best, although there's a bit too much
vertical space between lines of text. And it pays to make grey
foregrounds a bit lighter.

> Is there a way to get non-AA font with gnome-terminal?

Well, if you tell Xft to not AA some fonts then you can at least get the
same fonts you get now. But that's only an option for proprietary fonts
and a version of FreeType that continues to have the hinting enabled.

As for the good old bitmap fonts, I'd like to know as well. Is that
something we'll regain with xft2 and fontconfig?

--
Bart.