Re: gnome-wm

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 05:21:56PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:50:55AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 09:29, Christian Marillat wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Basically, it would be nice if one of the gnome packages asked a debconf
> > question about this, and set the x-window-manager accordyingly.
>
> For now this is not a good solution, because update-alternatives is a
> system wide configuration and only root can change that.

And guess what, the debconf thingy asking question at package install
time run as root.

Seriously though, what is the problem with it ?

Maybe i misunderstood and this thread was about people wanting to change
windows manager from the user perspective, but this may not be needed if
a reasonable default is provided. I guess most gnome users are running
their box mono-user anyway, and are asking about being able to change WM
only because the upgrade to gnome2 provided twm as WM only.

Friendly,

Sven Luther