Re: gnome-wm

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 17:50, Christian Marillat wrote:

> For me this is simply a big hack because metacity doesn't support Debian
> menu and can have a better priority. In some point some old window
> manager like fvwm are better than metacity.

Well, OK.  If you prefer fvwm or sawfish over metacity, I think that's
fine.  But we should't make life difficult for the very common case;
e.g. most people who will install the "x-window-system" and "gnome"
packages, then log in using GDM only to find that twm has created a
border around all of their panels, file icons, etc...yuck.

> I'll not apply this hack.

I just made a full policy proposal.  I think it should make everyone
happy.

What I'll do is remove the 'metacity' dependency in the 'gnome' package,
and just make it depend on 'ewmh-x-window-manager'.  Then people can use
either sawfish or metacity to provide this.

I still think we should be telling people that if they really want to
use fvwm (or another specific window manager), just set WINDOW_MANAGER.

But first and foremost, we want to have sane defaults.