Re: Results of transition scripts

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 07:33:07PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 13:16, Rick L Vinyard Jr wrote:
> > Just a few (very brief) notes about the results of using the transition
> > scripts. I've kept things brief and haven't attached files since I don't
> > want to flood the list with too much extraneous material.

Erm, just a small info on the transition issue, i couldn't say much
about the gnome1 -> gnome2 transition, because i wipped away my old
setup times ago to manually redo the gnome2 setup.

That said, when i logged on my work box, which still has a old .gnome
directory lying around, and a .gnome2 which contains my current (gnome2)
setup, i was asked about doing the transition thingy.

So, first problem :

  If there is a .gnome2 directory, you could ask if the user want to
  remove/rename/whatever the .gnome directoy, and move the .gnome2
  directory over it.

  That said, i guess anyone having a .gnome2 directory, and thus having
  installed the experimental packages or something such, is maybe big
  enough to remove the .gnome directory and rename /gnome2 to .gnome by
  hand, so maybe we should not worry, i don't know.

So i did respond no, not wanting my old gnome1 setup to replace my new
gnome2 setup, and think procedeed, coming to my second problem :

  When gnome booted (with still the 30s delay about the window manager)
  it was with twm (i have both twm and metacity installed only). It was
  previously configured to use metacity. I don't know what went wrong
  here, but this is not the first time this happened.

Friendly,

Sven Luther