Re: Unable to properly maintain my packages due to png troubles

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 11:53:34AM +0200, Davide Puricelli wrote:

> some weeks ago we decided to switch to libgtk2.0-0png3 and to compile
> all apps against libpng3-dev: this transition took a bit of time, but at
> the end all was solved. Then Steve M. Robbins sent an email to all the
> maintainers with Depends or Build-Depends on imlib and gdk-imlib asking
> them to use revision 1.9.14-7, linked with png3.
> In the meanwhile Christian Marillat compiled gnome-libs with png3 ..
> png2 was nearly totally replaced when, suddenly, we decided to use png3
> only for GNOME2 stuff and to keep png2 for GNOME1 stuff: gnome-libs
> change was reverted and a imlib+png2 source package was introduced.

Although it won't mollify you in any way, I'd like to point out that
the change to imlib is completely independent of any change to libgtk.

The reversion to gdk-imlib1 is due to the fact that gdk-pixbuf is in
the same situation as gdk-imlib: both dlopen libpng in a helper
module.  Thus, both need to be changed (or not) in parallel.  See my
details.

> Now, after this little summary, my questions:
> 1) why Steve didn't send a new message to all the G1 maintainers, asking
>    them to ignore his previous email and to use imlib+png2?

I simply didn't get around to doing so yet.  But that's a good idea --
I'll do it today.

> 2) which imlib packages should I use to be able to build both G1 and G2
>    packages? At the moment I have:
>    gdk-imlib1
>    gdk-imlib1-dev
>    gdk-imlib2
>    imlib-base
>    imlib-progs
>    imlib1
>    imlib1-dev
>    imlib2

For G1, you'll usually need just gdk-imlib1-dev and whatever it
pulls in.  Note that it will NOT pull in libpng2-dev.

Hope this helps,
-Steve