Unable to properly maintain my packages due to png troubles

[I Cc'ed imlib and png maintainers because I'd like to hear their
opininion]

Hi, I'm really confused and annoyed by the current situation [sid] and
I'd like to hear comments, I don't think that I'm the only maintainer
with this kind of issues.
I maintain some GNOME1 packages (xchat, eog, teg, bluefish etc.) and
some GNOME2 packages (eog2, gnome-media2 and, in a near future, xchat2);
some weeks ago we decided to switch to libgtk2.0-0png3 and to compile
all apps against libpng3-dev: this transition took a bit of time, but at
the end all was solved. Then Steve M. Robbins sent an email to all the
maintainers with Depends or Build-Depends on imlib and gdk-imlib asking
them to use revision 1.9.14-7, linked with png3.
In the meanwhile Christian Marillat compiled gnome-libs with png3 ..
png2 was nearly totally replaced when, suddenly, we decided to use png3
only for GNOME2 stuff and to keep png2 for GNOME1 stuff: gnome-libs
change was reverted and a imlib+png2 source package was introduced.
Now, after this little summary, my questions:
1) why Steve didn't send a new message to all the G1 maintainers, asking
   them to ignore his previous email and to use imlib+png2?
2) which imlib packages should I use to be able to build both G1 and G2
   packages? At the moment I have:
   gdk-imlib1
   gdk-imlib1-dev
   gdk-imlib2
   imlib-base
   imlib-progs
   imlib1
   imlib1-dev
   imlib2
3) the most important question: libpng will be fixed to be able to
   install both libpng2-dev and libpng3-dev at the same time? It's the
   only way we have to properly maintain GNOME stuff (no, I'm not
   considering a chroot very confortable).
   I have libpng2, libpng2-dev and libpng3 installed and if I try to
   install libpng3-dev I get:
   The following packages will be REMOVED:
     imlib1-dev libbonobo-dev libcapplet-dev libgal-dev
     libgdk-pixbuf-gnome-dev
     libglade-gnome0-dev libgnome-dev libgnomeprint-dev libgtkhtml-dev
     libgtkxmhtml-dev libpanel-applet-dev libpng2-dev
     libpng3-dev

Thanks in advance for all the replies and the feedback.

Best regards,
--
Davide Puricelli, dpuricelli@tin.it
Debian Developer: evo@debian.org | http://www.debian.org