Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

MEM>  With all due respect, which part of what I said didn't you understand?

MEM>  I didn't say the API is undocumented.  I said that the behaviour is
MEM>  undocumented.

I see. I've misread... Indeed, it's not described about RTLD_GLOBAL.

MEM>  OSF1 is mentioned as an *example* in the comment.

MEM>  What matters is G_MODULE_BROKEN_RTLD_GLOBAL.

MEM>  This macro will be defined if the RTLD_GLOBAL support is broken.

MEM>  Glib is an abstraction library.

MEM>  As such, you use Glib's interfaces and nothing more.

MEM>  Glib defines a virtual platform for you.

MEM>  It DOES NOT MATTER if you know more details about *your* platform.

MEM>  Whatever you program, you program for Glib, not for Glib on Linux.

MEM>  If you do the later, you deserve what you get.

MEM>  Glib's use of RTLD_GLOBAL is not documented.

MEM>  Glib's use of RTLD_GLOBAL varies according your platform.

Aah, right. I thought 'making us incompatible with the
world' was pointed to a word happened on the libpng3
transition. and when some image libraries is used via
gtk+2.0, RTLD_GLOBAL isn't specified as flags. so
compatibility will be kept. but if some applications uses
RTLD_GLOBAL with g_module_open(), a compatibility will be
lost. you are right at this point.

Anyway I confused you. I'm sorry.

--
Akira TAGOH  : tagoh@gnome.gr.jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group