Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

>> Akira TAGOH <tagoh@debian.org> writes:

 >>  The chance is microscopic because the API documentation doesn't
 >>  specify that opening a module will import the module's symbols into
 >>  the program's space.  Any application relying on that is relying on
 >>  undocumented behaviour.

 > GLib's API refference isn't enough for you?
 > file:///usr/share/doc/libglib2.0-doc/glib/glib-dynamic-loading-of-modules.html

 With all due respect, which part of what I said didn't you understand?

 I didn't say the API is undocumented.  I said that the behaviour is
 undocumented.

 > As written on a comment, when G_MODULE_BROKEN_RTLD_GLOBAL is defined,
 > it's only OSF1 V5.0. 'making us incompatible with the world' points
 > to almost Linux, doesn't it?  for example, do we need to keep a
 > compatibility to run OSF1's application?

 I demand a reality check.

 *deep breath*

 OSF1 is mentioned as an *example* in the comment.

 What matters is G_MODULE_BROKEN_RTLD_GLOBAL.

 This macro will be defined if the RTLD_GLOBAL support is broken.

 Glib is an abstraction library.

 As such, you use Glib's interfaces and nothing more.

 Glib defines a virtual platform for you.

 It DOES NOT MATTER if you know more details about *your* platform.

 Whatever you program, you program for Glib, not for Glib on Linux.

 If you do the later, you deserve what you get.

 Glib's use of RTLD_GLOBAL is not documented.

 Glib's use of RTLD_GLOBAL varies according your platform.

--
Marcelo             | "You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I
mmagallo@debian.org | mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look."