Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Kai Weber wrote:

> From: Kai Weber <lists@glorybox.de>
> Subject: Re: Gnome2 for woody
>
> + Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > > I would like to help as a Gnome user. But it is uninstallable for sid.
> >
> > But we should provides migration script before moving GNOME 2 in
> > unstable.
>
> Hm. As I far as I read the announcements for Gnome2 they said, that
> Gnome2 is not compatible to Gnome1.
>
> For my understanding is gnome-terminal for Gnome2 not compatible with
> gnome-terminal for Gnome1. And so are the configurations. Because Gnome1
> used another schema. I know this and so I know I have a completly new
> Desktop.
>
> So, why migration scripts?
>
> Kai

Hypothetical example:
Say app X for GNOME 1.4 has an old style (gnome-config) configuration
file which stores a font which is specified as an X font string. Say the
GNOME 2 version off that app stores the font as 2 gconf strings, the
name and the size. A converter would read the config file from the old
version, split the font name in 2 parts, and call gconf to store them in
the gconf database.

And everyone is happy.

Kind regards,

Chipzz AKA