gnome apps fail to start

I have installed gnome 2 as per the instructions on hadess.net. My
machine is running a mix of testing and unstable software. My problem is
that when I load gnome a few apps work but not gnome-panel,
gnome-terminal, yelp, nautilus etc. If I run one of them from an xterm
the cursor moves to a new line and the program is obviously starting up
to a point. Running strace shows that the programs get to `pull(' before
freezing. They've never visible on screen however.

This has me very stumped and if anyone could shed some light on what
might be wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

--
S. Tomlinson
http://flawed.co.uk