characters not displaying

Hi,

I have a problem which is both gtk/gnome 1 and 2 related.

My swedish characters are displayed properly, but not every time.

Example 1:
gnome-terminal version 2.0.0

I start nano, and enter some swedish character, and they are written to
the file, and I can see the cursor moving, but they are not displayed.

Example 2:
ickle version 0.3.1

When sending a message, the swedish characters are not displayed at all,
and no cursor movement, but there is a character, and I can delete it,
and is displayed later in the history.

Other applications like my Evolution works as it should.

Note: I'm running debian sid with some packages from experimental.
Note 2: This seems to affect all "high-bit" characters as § and other.

best regards
Robin