gnome-control-center2: segfault on startup because no vi found?!

Hi,

I have here a fresh install of gnome2 (there's not much else on this
laptop). When I start X, I see the splash screen - when suddenly there's
two error windows. one empty in the background, and one saying
gnome-settings-daemon has crashed with a segfault.

doing an strace on it I see a whole bunch of stat's happening, where it
looks for some kind of editor (gedit, vi, emacs, nedit, ...) I
personally use mc/mcedit so I didn't have any of those installed.

I installed nvi, and lo and behold - it works.

A couple of things
- why is this brain dead behaviour happening?
- why does it crash because it can't find a bloody editor instead of
giving some sensible error message
- if there needs to be an editor, maybe there should be a dependency?

Oh well - at least it works now.

Thanks all for your packaging efforts by the way,

Mourad DC