Re: Sawfish2: '2' Suffix

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:45:48PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> I really don't like how GNOME 2 can be configured and lost
> functionalities. Right now I don't have GNOME 2 installed on my
> machine for the following reasons :
>
> No more panel menu editing.

This didn't actually work right anyway.  =/

Actually, I can add things to the menu, but I cannot delete them.  Here's
how to add something to the menu:  nautilus "applications:" (typed from
cmdline, brings up a window with the menu in it..)  Add whatever you like
in here, files or folders.

Attempt to trash one of them though and nothing happens.  Note, adding the
option of a delete which bypasses the trash doesn't work either.

I'm using an old version of nautilus (1.1.19 still) because nautilus2 was
reported to not work at all because of the gnome-vfs problem.  If someone
has nautilus2 working properly, please report whether or not this works
for you or not..  =)  I'd delete it by hand, but I have NFI where the file
was actually saved to.

> No more favorites menu.

Can be fixed, same caveats apply as above.

> The panel isn't dynamically resized.

This is not a bug, IMO.  It was damned annoying that the panel did odd
things like that.  I don't know if there's a good solution to this for
people who depend on the feature - I'm just glad it's gone, for my part.

> Sawfish can be configured as I want in 1.4

Most of the things that were removed are still in the source code, but
disabled.  You can put them back, though you'll no longer be using the
official sawfish.  Requires a little lisp hacking.

> A lot of applets has been removed.

No contest - most of them haven't been ported yet.  Some of them are
deemed no longer useful (screenshooter), and some features of applets
which were ported are now missing with no equivalent to be found, such as
the window list icon which used to be on the pager.

This last _should_ be considered an important usability issue given that
the alternatives take up an awful lot os screen real-estate for those of
us who don't have much to spare, and at least one of the two window
managers for Gnome2, metacity, doesn't have any way other than the
tasklist to restore an iconized window, oops!

I don't recall seeing it in sawfish2 either, but I only used it about ten
minutes before concluding the missing features were going to take too much
time for me to find and put back (I don't speak lisp natively), so I
decided to hold off until I could figure out exactly what was missing, get
those features back, and report a coherent bug as to what's missing and
why it's important.  (This will not be good enough for some I'm sure, but
those people will dismiss the bug because it has my name on it..)

> Some binaries has been removed from gnome-utils.

I know stripchart was.  Gnotes too maybe?  Yeah, I think gnotes was in
gnome-utils..  If anyone else misses it (I missed its icon, which I use
for bringing up my todo list in a vim window), I suspect I could probably
port the thing pretty quickly, or even write a fresh thingy to replace it
which might even be more useful.  =)

I have some ideas for a postit note applet which I've not seen implemented
in one before, and it might be worthwhile to actually implement them after
all, if anyone's actually interested in the thing.  (I'd use it if I wrote
it, but if I were going to write it for just me, I'd not bother - I have a
.notes file I keep such things in right now..)

> May be some features above are bugs.

Maybe some above bugs are features, too.  ;)  Several of the things you've
noted I believe to need fixes though, and hope that they're given them.  I
suspect things like menu editing are possibly just not used or documented
very well.  I find it hard to believe that it is an accident that I
actually found the applications: URI or that I was able to add to it.

Note, I was also able to add gconf-editor to preferences: where IMO it
belongs.  This was IMO just cool, because it gave me back one icon worth
of space on my panel without making the registry ed--er, I mean, advanced
preferences tool--difficult to get at.

Said more simply, Gnome2 really just needs some polish and a few bugfixes,
most of the underlying stuff is there and mostly stable, Debian package
synchronisation issues notwithstanding.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>          Have chainsaw will travel

<doogie> Debian - All the power, without the silly hat.