Re: gnome-media2 packaged

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 22:51, Davide Puricelli wrote:
> Hi, I packaged gnome-media 2.0.0 and I'd like to upload it if
> gnome-media maintainer isn't interested in it, anyway the package has
> some issues:
> - debian/control should be improved and corrected, especially the
>   Build-Depends section and the extended description .. feedback is
>   appreciated :)

Build-Depends: libgnomeui-dev, libesd0-dev, debhelper, scrollkeeper,
libgconf2-dev, sox

sox is needed at compile-time, it hardcodes the path to sox.

For the description, the name of the binaries have changed:
This package contains:
 .
   a volume control
   a CD player
   a vu-meter (watch sound output)
   a sound recorder

> - the package comes with a shared lib, /usr/lib/libcddb-slave2.so .. I
>   never packaged a shared lib, so I have some questions:
>   1) can I include it into gnome-media2 package or should I create a
>      brand new package for it?

As long as gnome-media is the only package to use that library, yes.
There aren't any headers installed afaics,so it's not really a problem.

>   2) the shlibs.local file I wrote is correct? ;)
> - the package has some files into /usr/share/applications/ .. is the
>   right directory or should I move them?

Yep, right dir.

> Thanks in advance for your feedback .. and no, I'm not forgetting the
> most important thing: http://people.debian.org/~evo

You'll need to have the schemas installed properly with gconftool. A
bunch of packages like gnome-applets2 already do this correctly, take a
look at the "make install" bit in the rules, and the postinst script.

Finally, you might want to package the volume control separately, and
have 2 versions available, one for oss, one for alsa.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net