Re: uploading nautilus2 into main

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 23:55, Takuo KITAME wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've decided to upload nautilus2_2.0.0 and others into sid/main.
> Any comments?

I don't object, but it would be nice if we had a concrete plan for
what's going to happen for woody+1.

As I see it, there are two alternatives:

1) Keep both GNOME 1 and GNOME 2 for woody+1.  All the GNOME 1 packages
keep their existing names (e.g. "nautilus", "galeon").  All the GNOME 2
packages which have a namespace conflict with GNOME 1 have "2" appended.

2) Remove GNOME 1, and remove the "2" suffix from packages.

Given how long woody+1 will likely take to release, I suggest we plan to
drop GNOME 1.  We don't want to saddle GNOME upstream with having to
deal with supporting GNOME 1.4 that far in the future.

Now, the remaining question is: do we want to upload "2" packages to
unstable in the meantime?  If we can do the appropriate Conflicts: and
Replaces: so that all the "2" packages transparently replace their GNOME
1 counterparts when the time comes, this should be fine.

But renaming packages (especially lots at once) is error-prone.  For
that reason, it might be worth just keeping GNOME 2 in experimental.

Thoughts?