Re: uploading nautilus2 into main

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> 1) Keep both GNOME 1 and GNOME 2 for woody+1.  All the GNOME 1 packages
> keep their existing names (e.g. "nautilus", "galeon").  All the GNOME 2
> packages which have a namespace conflict with GNOME 1 have "2" appended.

The GNOME 2.0 Desktop release is designed to replace the GNOME 1.x desktop
components. So, even without a namespace conflict, I'd recommend a package
conflict.

The only exception is gnomecc... My biggest disappointment with the 2.0
release is that we haven't provided enough in terms of migration and
compatibility when it comes to configuration of 1.x stuff via 2.x. So, at
least until we get the opportunity to fix that, we'll still need gnomecc
hanging around. :-(

> 2) Remove GNOME 1, and remove the "2" suffix from packages.
>
> Given how long woody+1 will likely take to release, I suggest we plan to
> drop GNOME 1.  We don't want to saddle GNOME upstream with having to
> deal with supporting GNOME 1.4 that far in the future.

Well, we are just about to release GNOME 1.4.1, developer platform up to
fifth toe, so we're kinda still supporting it. :-)

- Jeff

--
  "Ever since GNOME development began, I have urged people to aim to make
   it as good as the Macintosh.  To try to be like Windows is to try for