Re: debugging symbols

<quote who="Chris Waters">

> Anyway, I hope that in the long term, we can find some sort of solution to
> this whole problem that will make us third-party vendors, distributors,
> repackagers, resellers, etc. happy.

Please note the "distributors" section in the GNOME 2.0 Desktop Beta 2
release notes:

  Distributors
  ------------

  This release is not intended for inclusion in distributions. However,
  binary packages for bleeding edge testers on your platform are very
  welcome.  Please email the release team <gnome2-release-team@gnome.org> if
  you have built packages for your platform.

So, whilst it's not in woody, it is being included in the sid distribution.
Thus, I see any packaging of G2D for Debian sid simply as a helping hand for
users who wish to test the GNOME 2.0 Desktop. Which gives us two possible

  1) We are not pleased that Debian is distributing G2D binaries without
  debugging symbols at this stage of the release.

  2) Thanks for packaging G2D for Debian users to debug, test and fix at
  this early stage of our release.

We'd have the same response to any other distributor. So, if you want to be
seen as a respectable third-party vendor, you need to play the game. :-)

[ Regardless, please consider the fact that whilst in a perfect world, bugs
would go straight to Debian, then upstream; this is actually causing a whole
host of annoyances for us already. It's making more work for maintainers and
triagers, who could be doing better things to make G2D happen sooner. ]

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
  "Linux continues to have almost as much soul as James Brown." - Forrest
                                 Cook, LWN