Re: Nautilus 1.1.5-1

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 20:27, Robin Putters wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 23:59, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >
> > I use nautilus cvs myself, but complaining about an alpha version not
> > working, and not providing a better description of "Doesn't work" is a
> > waste of the developers' time.
> >

> Well, maybe you could give some pointers then on how to provide this
> information. Tell me what information you're looking for.. Btw: nautilus
> 1.1.5 is considered a beta version, not alpha :), it's in the just
> released gnome2 beta ( ).

Well, it's beta. It's quite far from beta state still, I know that.
Any error messages showing up if you launch nautilus from the
command-line ? Backtraces if it coredumps ?

> > Get more information about the bug, see if your problem might already
> > have been fixed by checking Nautilus' Changelog in CVS, and then report
> > the bug.
> >

> I'll do that.

Thanks

> > /Bastien Nocera, who fixes his Nautilus bugs himself
>
> Well, not everyone is a genius like you. But you also scare off a lot of
> potential developers/maintainers with this attitude. What's wrong with
> 'try this' or 'can you check this' instead of 'fuck off, it's alpha,
> don't complain'. I think if no-one ever reported bugs, debian wouldn't
> be as usable as it is nowadays.

I never said I was a genius, I said that I try to help when I can. And I
don't think I've ever been rude to you. If no-one reported bugs like you
did gnome's bugzilla would be cleaner. Try to make useful bug reports
next time. It's not like there's no documentation about reporting bugs
on nearly every free software's website.

I don't think the main problem was that nautilus was alpha or beta, it's
the fact that you haven't been able to make a decent bug report. I would
have expected better from somebody who's subscribed to a debian
developer mailing-list.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net