Re: GNOME 2 packages

<quote who="Steve M. Robbins">

> In the latest Gnome 2 summary, I can see also packages like glib,
> gnome-core, gnome-applets, gnome-common, and the like that do NOT have
> a "2" in the package name.  These packages are apparently being
> uploaded to "sid".  Or are they?

That's their official upstream name; I'm sure when the transition stuff is
sorted out they'll all be 2'ed.

> In the case of libraries, will the same binary .deb be compatible with
> both Gnome 1 and 2?  Or will compatibility break at some revision?  If the
> latter, will the newer packages cease being uploaded to sid?

Depends on the library. esound/audiofile etc. are the same, but most of the
platform libraries are totally incompatible. However, they are parallel
installable, so appropriate ones can be uploaded any time (cf. discussion
about orbit, et. al.)

- Jeff

--
                          chown -R us:us yourbase