Re: GNOME 2 packages

>> > Having a people.debian.org repo would be great, and a big warning sign
>> > saying "gnome 2 testing area, bugger off if you want to keep your current
>> > set up". :)  [...]
>>
>> We can upload packages in experimental.

> Either uploading to "experimental" or to a private .deb source sounds
> fine to me.

Experimental had a nice name :-) and this should be more easy to
maintain than a private source (need to share login/password).

> What I'm worried about is having some unsuspecting SID-user (e.g. me)
> suddenly having GNOME 1 stop working because some piece of GNOME 2 got
> installed during "apt-get upgrade".  It would be nice to have some
> public commitment from the Debian Gnomes about this.  I am getting a
> little worried about the Gnome 2 status reports (which are wonderful)
> that state things are already installed or in "incoming".  Are we sure
> all of this will not upset existing Gnome 1 systems?

I'm not sure if I was clear, but package name for application should be
package_name2 and this package should conflict with package_name, because
binaries name are the same in both packages. Thus in that case nobody
can install a Gnome 2 package with an "apt-get dist-upgrade", you should
do an "apt-get install package_name2" and add the experimental URL in
your sources.list.

If somebody can install a Gnome 2 by accident a heat my hat.

Christian