Re: Gnome mini-freeze...

>>>>> On 09 Apr 2001 01:47:08 -0500, epg@progeny.com (Eric Gillespie, Jr.) said:

 Eric> I've CC'd the debian-mentors list in hopes that some NMs or
 Eric> candidate NMs will volunteer. I offer to sponsor any uploads.

 Eric> I've also CC'd the maintainers of the out-of-date packages.

 Eric> On Sun, 8 Apr 2001 01:28:38 +0000 (UTC), aj@azure.humbug.org.au
 Eric> (Anthony Towns) said:

 >> It looks like GNOME 1.4 is just about able to go into woody

 Eric> Not quite.

 Eric> GNOME 1.4 Packages missing from unstable
 Eric> panelmm

 Eric> GNOME Packages not up to 1.4 in unstable
 Eric> * glade* gnome-guile* gnome-pim gnome-print gnome-python* gtop
 Eric> imlib scrollkeeper

No help needed for gnome-guile.  It'll be uploaded in a short bit just
waiting on an answer from upstream about something.

Someone who's name I forget said they were taking gnome-pim.  I
haven't seen an upload from them, so my name is still on it.  Assuming
they are no longer working on it someone else can take it.

 Eric> GNOME Fifth-toe apps missing from unstable
 Eric> firestarter fpm** galeon gfax gnome-lokkit googlizer
 Eric> radioactive toutdoux**

 Eric> GNOME Fifth-toe apps not up to 1.4 in unstable
 Eric> gedit gnumeric*

 Eric> [1] Additionally, this one has a different name than upstream
 Eric>     for no obvious reason.

 Eric> * denotes packages i'd like to adopt
 Eric> ** denotes packages i've already filed an ITP for

 Eric> Furthermore, task-gnome-desktop is totally bogus. I think we
 Eric> need to toss out all the task-gnome-* packages. They shouldn't
 Eric> be task packages anyway. I propose the following meta-packages:

No they shouldn't.  Task packages have a particular meaning.

 Eric> gnome-desktop - Pulls in GNOME core desktop functionality
 Eric> gnome-applications - Pulls in (most) GNOME Fifth-toe apps
 Eric> gnome-network - Pulls in network-related GNOME apps (from GNOME
 Eric>                 *and* Fifth-toe)

This is another upstream source package.  "gnome-network". A bad idea
to name a package after something upstream.

 Eric> gnome-games[1] - Pulls in all GNOME games gnome-dev - Pulls in
 Eric> all GNOME development packages

 Eric> [1] - I see this one already exists. It should be changed to
 Eric>       Depend on all GNOME games, not just the ones from the
 Eric>       gnome-games source package.

No it shouldn't.  "gnome-games" is a particular upstream source
package.  It shouldn't depend on anything but what is contained in
that source.

 Eric> That's 28 packages that need to be uploaded (plus the
 Eric> meta-packages). Looks like a lot of work, but i think we can do
 Eric> it. I think we should focus on getting GNOME up-to-date first;
 Eric> most of the Fifth-toe apps aren't that important.

 Eric> Unfortunately, there is another problem which may be even
 Eric> bigger, and that is the gettext problem Christian brought up. I
 Eric> don't know what we're going to have to do here. I doubt we can
 Eric> expect upstream to resolve the issue anytime soon.

 Eric> If it's decided that NMUs are appropriate, i can get all these
 Eric> done in a day, if necessary (i'm lucky enough to be paid to
 Eric> work on Debian).

 Eric> One last thing. It's all too common to see people using Ximian
 Eric> GNOME on Debian. As we all know, the Ximian packages are less
 Eric> than cooperative. I think it would be nice to setup an apt
 Eric> source containing all of GNOME 1.4 built for potato. I realize
 Eric> that keeping such a beast up-to-date is non-trivial, so i
 Eric> volunteer to do all the work.

I'm willing to help where I can here.  I don't have the time luxury
you do, but I can certainly compile and upload things if that helps.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!