Missing /usr/share/fonts/fontmap

MoiN

I had problems with gnumeric finding it's fonts because of a
missing /usr/share/fonts/fontmap file. In previous versions of
the gnompe-print package this was generated by
gnome-font-install. But since veriosn 0.28 this file no longer
gets generated; it changed its format and is called
/usr/share/fonts/fontmap2 now.

I solved my problem by running the gnome-font-install program
from potatos gnome-print package with the arguments given in the
postinst of that package. If you are wondering why it got erased
at all, look at the prerm of the package libgnomeprint11, which
does a

	rm -f /usr/share/fonts/fontmap

This should be surrounded by 'if [ "$1" = "remove" ]; then' ...
'fi', of course. An equivalent command is in libgnomeprint15.

But how should debian act on packages depending on the old file
/usr/share/fonts/fontmap? I think an old version of
gnome-font-install has to be kept in the package libgnome-data to
support packages which still depend on old libraries that read
it, think even of statically linked third-party applications.

    Ingo
--
16                      Hard coded constant for amount of room allowed for
                        cache align and faster forwarding (tunable)

-- seen in /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/net/TUNABLE