Re: Updated status of GNOME in potato

Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:
> But I'm very curious about one thing:  what is it, again, that we're
> doing about this whole mad concept of the upstream folks releasing new
> archives without changing the names?  My inclination is to wait until
> they're done with such nonsense, but I get the feeling that my view is
> *not* shared.
>
> Are we really crazy/stupid/fill-in-adjective enough to try to track
> these tarballs by *time stamp*?  I'd rather do my own dentistry! :-)
>
> And if we are crazy/whatever enough, can some one fill me in on the
> details of how this madness is supposed to work?  If I create
> gnome-foo-1.0.40-1, and then there's suddenly a new
> gnome-foo-1.0.40.orig, what exactly should I do?  (I assume that "kill
> someone" is not the recommended answer, although it's the one that
> tempts me.:-)

I think it's dumb that they're doing it.  I can *almost* understand,
in that they've said the changes they're considering are last-minute
updates to translations, but I still think it's dumb.

However, I, personally, am willing to put up with it if only because
I'd like to see the new gnome release make it into potato stat, simply
because it's become such a black eye for us.  I also think that if we
can get this release out efficiently, the next time we can agitate for
a more sane attitude towards the release.

Finally, as to how to handle it, well, I just incremented the debian
version number and added -sa to gnome-libs to make sure the new
upstream source was uploaded. :-)

Mike.