Re: Steve Haslam and Gnome in potato

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 09:08:55AM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> > I'd like that someone package a new upstream version of both gnome-core
> > and gnome-libs and check which bugs have been corrected. Each upstream
> > bug should be forwarded in the Gnome BTS if the bug is still present in
> > the new version. If the bug is debian-only then try to correct it. :)
> >
> > It's time to do it right now, before Gnome 1.0.50 so that all bugs will be
> > corrected in Gnome 1.0.50 that will come soon (one or two weeks probably).
> >
> > If nobody is willing to do it, I'll do it myself.
>
> I've started working on this.
>
> However, I've hit a kind of a snag.  The current package has 700K+ of
> diffs (uncompressed), which I think could be avoided by creating a
> build directory and building in there.
>
> Normally, when I'm working on someone else's package, I just make
> whatever minor revisions are necessary to get things working, and
> leave it at that.  Moving to using a build directory is more than just
> a minor revision, but I think it could make the package a lot cleaner.
>
> So, what do people think?  Should I be concervative, or should I
> assume that since Steve's not responded about this important package
> in so long that I should act as if I'm adopting it, and thus do
> whatever I think is best long-term?

As long as you do a good job in fixing the package, nobody will have
any right to complain. Maybe it is not common practice to do cosmetical
repairs in NMUs (although I'd do those, too, if it's logical to fix them),
but redesigning the build system can be (and usually is) a change in the
source package functionality.

In short: just do it.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name