[cph@zurich.ai.mit.edu: complaint about FTP archive]

Sent to webmasters@gnome.org - Its a Debian issue too.

----- Forwarded message from Chris Hanson <cph@zurich.ai.mit.edu> -----

To: webmaster@gnome.org
Subject: complaint about FTP archive
From: Chris Hanson <cph@zurich.ai.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:37:37 -0400

This is a complaint about the GNOME FTP archive.  I am sending it to
this address because I couldn't find any address in the README on the
FTP site.  If this is the wrong address, I'm sorry -- but would you
please either forward my message or tell me the correct address.

My complaint is pretty simple: I'm annoyed that you removed the Debian
2.1 GNOME packages from the FTP site.  I understand that you think
they are old, but until you provide new packages, you should have left
them on the site.

A consequence of your action is that I am left with 25 computers (I'm
a sysadmin here at MIT), all of which have GNOME installed on them,
and I can't maintain the machines, because the package archive I was
depending on has disappeared.  And as far as I can tell, my only
alternatives are to (1) delete GNOME from the machines, (2) to upgrade
the machines to the unreleased potato, or (3) wait for the next
release.  The first two aren't realistic options for me, and
experience with the last release of GNOME indicates that Debian
packages won't be available until several weeks after the release.

I'd be happy to entertain alternatives.  For example, if there is an
archive of these packages somewhere, I'd be happy to redirect my APT
lists to point to it.  Or, if you still have the packages and would be
willing to let me download them, I will put them on my server, thus
creating an archive both for me and for others.

I'm sorry for venting on you like this, but I want you to understand
the inconvenience you've imposed on me, so you can properly weigh the
consequence of your actions.  I don't mean to just complain -- I'm
looking for a solution to this problem, and I'm willing to be
accomodating.

Chris Hanson
Principal Research Scientist
MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Ian  McKellar | Email: yakk(a)yakk.net   | Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Prefix: +61 8 | Fax/VoiceMail: 9265 0821 | Home: 9389 9162 | Work: 9380 3688