panel & gmc problems in potato

Whenever I try to start the gnome panel and/or gmc they fail with this error:

qube@cc996881-a:~/.enlightenment/cached/pager/ > panel
** WARNING **: Could not get name service!
** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 606 (real_goad_server_activate): assertion
failed: (name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...
Aborted

If I issue the command a second time they start normal. This has the
implications that I can't start either when I start X. If I 'exec
gnome-session' in .xsession, I don't get the panel.

I had this problem from the beginning,, with gnome 1.06 and yesterday I updated
to 1.07 but it didn't solve it.

Does anybody know what's wrong and how can I fix it ?

TIA

--
D.Damian