Panel comes and goes, is unstable in potato

I have had a problem with gnome-panel for months now, and have posted
without receiving any reply, several times.  I am running potato, and keep
it updated a couple times a week.

Panel worked at one point, and worked well.  I don't know at what point some
upgrade, perhaps of a library?, led to this problem that persists,
that panel intermittently starts up, but usually dies when I try to start
it, but always crashes at some point, with the messages about bad windows.

I am not getting that message now, cause I cannot even get the panel to
start.  Can someone tell me what package is causing such messages?

Perhaps I will have to upgrade completely, or go back to slink, which I do
not want to do for other reasons.

By the way, panel won't start unless I have sound configured.

Thanks,

Alan
--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis