Re: announcements on www.gnome.org

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 01:39:21PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> I want the thing to be of consistent shape when it is announced. It is
> not good to through a couple of packages at users without giving them
> instructions. The ones who don't need instructions already use the
> staging area.

All of the debian users that run gnome use the staging area: the
others need the same instructions, only with a different apt line.

> As a matter of fact, due to a bug in jinstallpackage, the Packages.gz
> files in any arch besides i386 are empty.

I fixed this in the staging area: some packages were recompiled
with debian revision 0.0.slink... without realizing there was
already a 0.1 package in the area.

> I am all for alpha, sparc etc. packages for GNOME and they should be
> distributed _after_ they have reached the state the i386 packages are
> in. After all this is for stable. If we can't guarantie stability
> because there was no freeze and testing etc., then we should at least
> guarantie a consistant shape and usability.

Me thinks if you not expose the thing the bugs will never be fixed
(or the packages will never be recompiled).

> PM> I uploaded updated gtk packages today, so what? That will happen
> PM> anyway anytime.
>
> What is the current setup? Do you mirror the staging area once a day
> or such or do you make the updates manually?

Now I use rsync: when Guy moves the thing somewhere in ftp.debian.org
we can use mirror or something o like that.

> PM> How debian manages to include or not the slink packages somewhere
> PM> in ftp.debian.org is not of concern here.
>
> Maybe not for you, but I want the information to appear at debian.org
> and gnome.org at the same time. debian.org *is* the place users will
> go to when they hear about the new packages.

Did you get a timeframe from Guy for the availability of the staging
area through ftp.debian.org?

> Did you see the version I am preparing? It just has to be adapted to
> the final situation.
>
> http://www.debian.org/~martinb/gnome-slink.html

It's better if you mention the easiest path to the upgrade:
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome-meta* ...

along or instead of the dselect way.

lupus