Re: git-credential-oauth 0.4.1-1 ready for upload

On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 at 08:22, Nilesh Patra <nilesh@nileshpatra.info> wrote:

> On 7 February 2023 1:30:00 pm IST, M Hickford <mirth.hickford@gmail.com> wrote:

> >https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/git-credential-oauth/-/tree/debian/sid
> >>
> >> I have uploaded your package - 0.4.2 release. I'm not at all sure if you'd
> >> be willing to / would consider taking my feedback... but, anyway --
> >packages are
> >> usually uploaded when there are some more changes than just a few lines
> >> of minimal diffs.
> >> Not each and every patch release _has_ to get an upload. And so please do
> >> ping for uploads when you think there are some more changes than small
> >> fixes.
> >> But ofcourse, serious bugs (FTBFS, autopkgtest failures) and security bugs
> >> are important things so nothing of the what above I said applies to them.
> >
> >Thanks again Nilesh. I particularly wanted to get the future-proofing
> >customisation feature into bookworm, otherwise secret rotation could
> >have bricked the app.
>
> I did take a look at the diff and found it sensible to make an upload. As always, thanks for your work!
>
> >Isn't this a catch 22? To become a Debian Maintainer I need to
> >demonstrate an established "history of contributions" [1], but a potential
> >advocate
> >encourages me to make fewer contributions  :-)
>
> There is not catch 22, and to be honest I do find that phrasing as borderline rude. I've two points to make

Sorry, I see how that came across. I apologise.

> 1. History is made over "time" doing 10 patch release uploads in 3 days (with minimal diffs) isn't going to mean anything much.
>
> 2. I'm absolutely not encouraging you to make fewer contributions, but instead to make more number of meaningful ones.
> There are plenty of areas in debian that need help, and I'm very certain that your experience/expertise could be very valuable.
> For instance like fixing release critical bugs in current packages, or helping with transitions, or helping with go toolchain (bugs in dh-make-golang) and so on.
> So if you like to help, you can take a look in these areas, and help contribute.
> There is plenty to do, and the bus factor isn't great.

So my maintainer application is judged on contributions beyond the package(s) I want to maintain? I hoped to become maintainer for my simple leaf package before attempting anything more complex. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.

Kind regards
-M